Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Hobbies

Lately, I haven't had much work doing graphic design so I have had more time to devote to my hobbies. I love to crochet, make jewelry, & read.


I picked up crocheting from a friend, after finding out that my sister in-law was pregnant with twins. I wanted to be able to make them something special from their Aunt Lindsay. She taught me how to make a granny square. After finding out that she was going to have twin girls, I then decided to make them each a big granny square blanket, 1 pink and 1 purple. From there, I've just built on my hobby. I made a couple other granny square baby blankets for family & friends, then decided to try something new.

My grandmother crocheted for years, even won awards for some of her afghans that she made. When I went to visit her for her 80th birthday in August of 2008, she let me have some her crochet supplies. One of the things she gave me was an unfinished white baby blanket that she started making a long time ago. I decided that I was going to finish it, and keep it for when I might have my own child one day. I was hesitant at first because I had only made granny squares and every time I attempted to crochet straight across, it always came out crooked. Somehow though, this blanket came out looking great! I think I must have just needed a little inspiration from my grandmother to be able to expand my crochet skills. Below is a picture of that blanket.

I've made a couple of the blankets now, starting from "scratch" as I like to call it (meaning starting it on my own, since I originally made this with grandma starting it LOL)

Now, I am almost willing to try to crochet anything. I've made hats & scarves for my mother in-law and sister in-law for Christmas last year. This year I plan on making something for my family again, I just haven't decided what yet. I am already in the process of making Christmas ornaments for family & friends! Don't know what I'll do if I get a lot of graphic design work!! I'll miss doing my crafts :)









No comments:

Post a Comment