Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Grandma's Scalloped Baby Blanket

When I first started crocheting, I learned by making granny squares. I had a hard time when it came to crocheting straight across though. This pattern is one of the first that I was able to do that turned out looking right. It is a pattern that I found in my grandma's crochet materials that I inherited not too long after I started crocheting. It was in an old pamphlet so I wanted to share it with you.

Grandma's Scalloped Baby Blanket


Materials:

4-5 skeins of baby yarn. (The picture uses Bernat Softee Baby)
Size G hook (I crochet tight so I tend to go up a size. This is the size the pattern called for.)
Scissors
Needle to weave in ends

Abbreviations:
CH - chain
SC - single crochet
SP - space
SK - skip
DC - double crochet
ST - stitch

Pattern:

CH 119 to measure about 28 inches.

Row 1: SC in second CH from hook, (SK 2 CH, 5 DC in next CH, SK 2, SC in next CH for a shell) 19 times, end SK 2, 3 DC in last CH, CH 1, turn. 

Row 2: SC in same DC as turning CH and in next DC, * CH 1, DC in next SC, CH 1, SC in second DC of next shell, CH 1, SC in 4th DC of same shell, repeat from * across, end CH 1, DC in last SC, CH 3, turn.

Row 3: 2 DC in base of turning CH, * SC in CH between next 2 SC, shell in next DC, repeat from * across, end SC in last SC, CH 4, turn.

Row 4: * SC in second DC of shell, CH 1, SC in 4th DC of same shell, CH 1, DC in next SC, repeat from * across, end SC in turning CH, CH 1, turn.

Row 5: SC in first SC, * shell in next DC, SC in CH between 2 SC, repeat from * across, end 3 DC in turning CH, CH 1, turn.

Repeat rows 2 through 5 for pattern, working on 19 1/2 shells to measure 30 inches from start, end with row 2 or 4, CH1.

Border: SC closely around, DC in each ST, SK CH 1 SP between 2 SC, 5 SC in next 3 corners, 2 SC in side of each DC, SC in base of each DC on other end, join, CH 3. 2 DC in base of CH 3, SC in each SC with 5 SC in corner STS, end 2 DC in base of CH 3 (4th corner), join, CH 3.

Work 3 more rows of DC with 5 DC in each corner.

Row 6 - Ruffle: * (DC, CH1) twice in EVERY OTHER DC, repeat from * around.

Row 7: (DC, CH 3) in each DC.

Picot Row: In each CH 3 SP, work (SC, CH 3) twice.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Happy crocheting!



No comments:

Post a Comment